Where will we be after a ten-year period?
At the end of ten years, Battery 2030+ will have generated a new body of knowledge that will lead to ultrahigh performance batteries with integrated smart functionalities, and will have created novel research fields for future batteries – all in a sustainable framework.
BATTERY 2030+ aims at achieving a paradigm shift in the research & development process, by accelerating by a factor from 5 to 10 the development cycle of novel battery materials, interphases, and interfaces.
Battery 2030+ will target the following achievements:
- Batteries for electric cars that provide a driving range comparable to gasoline-driven cars, for energy storage systems that bring flexibility to the power grid, and for any other applications that will improve the quality of life of European citizens (robotics, internet of things, medical devices, etc.).
- Batteries that can be charged three times faster than today’s technology, without compromising on lifetime or performance.
- Batteries with considerably longer lifetime than today, thanks to smart functionalities at battery cell level (among other things self-healing and sensing).
- Safer batteries with advanced control mechanisms using smart functionalities and new cell concepts, tailored to fit the applications in which they are to be used.
- Batteries designed for easy dismantling, better allowing recycling and second life usage.
- Finally, Battery 2030+ will focus strongly on sustainability and achieving the lowest carbon footprint possible for batteries through:
- a. sustainably mined materials;
- b. higher material resource efficiency and smarter functionalities;
- c. greener manufacturing processes, which can be upscaled to enable affordable battery solutions;
- d. more efficient recycling and remanufact uring processes.